Tuesday, May 1, 2018

... Oh Yeah, Hispanics

Culture shock 2.0 It was a good time.

I forgot that in the Spanish areas (in which actual Spanish people live) they sign up to feed you! No longer am I the one making the rice! Someone else does! It's kinda weird. I finally figured out how to make fries really good, and how to ratio salad dressing to chicken!

But, I DID miss the Besitos at the door at church and the overall "WHEEEEE!!!" mentality that comes with a Hispanic ward. And it turns out one of the recent converts from Windy Ridge (she was baptized right before I made it into the field, and she gave us juice on my first [or maybe second] night in Florida) moved into this ward while I was in exile! And she lives only a mile away from our house! BUT IT'S IN THE ELDERS AREA!!!! So much bittersweet. I may have been counting down the hours to see Claudia at church yesterday, but then she didn't show up!! Long story short, The Lord loves and wants to bless me, but patience is required. [Ugggggfinefienfienfinefinefine!!]

Some more bittersweet news this week: we had basically no miles, so on Wed, Hna Stowell (My wonderful new companion) warned me to prep for biking tomorrow. Thursday rolls around and I wear leg prisons in anticipation. But guess what we didn't end up doing. We kept pushing back which appointment we would bike to, and then, 3 days later, we were suddenly swimming in miles. I guess we'll just go to Cafe Rio. *dramatic sigh*... Here's a picture of my best friend who I'll probably name Patience. Or maybe Promised Blessings. Or maybe Promised Land... BUT! We got news that we'll be Car-Sharing! Hah! There's no way I can’t not ride my bike NOW!!
...wait...
But the area looks good. I'm still a little glazed and don't really remember anything, but my blessed companion has been here for her entire mission so far (she hit her 7-month mark two days ago!) So she's pro at the area. #Blessings! (4 me!!) I look forward to getting to know more of the people we work with, but I'd be happy to have y'all pray for Lorean to continue to progress to her baptismal date of May 19. It's looking a little grim, but hope is still alive! (somewhere...)

This week I had a lot of fun comparing Helaman to Captain Moroni. When help wasn't coming, Captain Moroni just kinda spit fire while Helaman prayed in faith that they'd be alright. And in the end, Helaman remained hopeful and strengthened by God and Moroni took the army into town and cleaned up everyone's act. While the ways in which they solved their problems varied a little drastically, they both trusted in God and came out on top. Sometimes I forget that there isn't a "Right" way to life. As long as we are having faith in Christ and striving to be better disciples, we can either have silent and strong courage or call down brimstone. This was a good reminder for me.

Well I hope y'all keep doing whatever y'all do. Maybe hunt down your local missionaries and either give 'em some delicious dinner or $20 so they can decide what they want for dinner. Either way is good as one allows for agency and the other has the potential of good memories!

Ciao, ciao all!

Pobrecito

All of my best companions. We call it Hermana Land!! We get to see Good ol' Hna Wade and Robbins again! Every Mon and Wed!!! Woot!


No comments:

Post a Comment